Oh yeah! It means exactly what it says on the title; Movies that’ll play and screw with your mind till the point that you don’t know where you are, or something very similar.
Don’t know what I mean? Have you ever seen a movie, during or after it, that make you go; “What the F just happened here?!” Did you get your mind blown to little pieces and came out bit disappointed at your self for not figuring it out earlier?
Well, here are 23 movies that will play with your head and maybe even make you feel bit silly, but don’t feel down if you don’t get them, because it doesn’t mean you are a total moran, no Sir! It means that the movie was just way too mindfucker for your little brain and that you need to train it to understand better these masterpieces.
WARNING: These films are seriously clever and wont be suitable for the people who watch MTV or the Disney channel! In fact, if you watch MTV or almost any reality show about making cakes or building aquariums, you can just move to another blog, thank you very much, unless you’re hot or a sloth (we like sloths!).
1) Eternal Sunshine of Spotless mind (2004) – Starring Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Tom Wilkinson, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood and Kirsten Dunst. This masterpiece was directed by Michel Gondry and remains till this day as one of the best screenplays of its genre. What genre? Mindfucking, thats the easiest way of describing it, or penetration of your brain with motion pictures. The story is about a couple who undergo a procedure to erase each other from their memories, when their relationship turns really sour, but its only through the process of memory loss that they discover what they had, to begin with. There is no point of explaining more as it will ruin the fornication of your mind, but trust this writer in the capabilities of this fantastic movie! Prepare your self for this one!
2) The Game – Starring Michael Douglas and Sean Penn, the Game is my second favorite movie of all time and for a good reason. Its a true entertainment movie, which offers you all the feelings a person can feel. Sadness, anger, fear, happiness, empathy and not knowing what comes next and oh yeah, MINDBLOWNESS. The director David Fincher is a master of his own right, having directed Fight Club, Social Network, Seven and Curious Case of Benjamin Button amongst others…but you can definitely see a pattern here, right. I wonder what happened to David when he was a kid, who messed up with his morning cereal… The ending of this one is, in this writers opinion, one of the best of movie history and will go down as the benchmark of thriller mindfuck movies. Not for the faint hearted. Grab your drinks, go to toilet before, do some pushups and make sure everyone who is watching is healthy enough…cos this one will take you on a ride
3) Layer Cake – My favorite film of all time. Without a doubt Layer Cake is one of the smartest movies that has been made. The best part? There is no American version (yet!) and so its not super well known outside of the UK (A British Film). Starring Daniel Craig (got his bond role thanks to this film, in the great scene where he tries a Luger pistol), Layer Cake tells a story about a successful cocaine dealer, who gets two tough assignments from his boss on the eve of his planned early retirement.
Why is it so good? The story is fresh, soundtrack is fucking fantastic (seriously guys, consider listening to it all while in a bath or something similarly recreational) , the directing is marvellous the cinematography is stunning but above all, the ending is what gets you. During the entire movie you need pay strict attention to what is going on, otherwise you’ll miss out big time in the ending. You see, its not a simple conman movie, its MUCH more than that. You need to watch carefully and think right till the end, when the main character asks the viewer a important question and you really want to know the answer or otherwise you will need to see the whole movie again (been there, done that). The trailer wont tell you much, so screw that shit, just go watch the movie immediately. Intrigued?
4) Anonymous – “OH WOW”!! Thats your reaction after watching this. Wait, first your reaction will be, during the first 30min, “ermm…am I stupid or what the clitoris is going on here?” No, you are not stupid, its a complicated movie to follow and I admit that the first 30 min is even more complicated. But you need to give it a chance to seduce you, I guarantee that you won’t be left disappointed. Anonymous, tells a story that we haven’t really heard before; -what if William Shakespeare did not write any of the works he claimed that he wrote? That he did not write Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet? What if William Shakespeare was a puppet of a powerful English lord, who simply didn’t want to be credited with these masterpieces, because it wouldn’t be appropriate for his position? There have been wideranging discussions and debates for decades regarding these questions and you just need to search online for: “did william shakespeare write his own plays” and you will enter a rabbit hole so deep that you wont know where your cats face is. A brilliant movie and an amazing, true story. Starring Rhys Ifans and always amazing Vanessa Redgrave.
5) Memento – Who am I? Why am I here? What is going on? What is going to happen? How do I find out about me? What happened to my leg? These are the questions the main character of Memento has to battle with, constantly. The main character is played by Guy Pearce and directed by Christopher Nolan (holler, the Mindfuck prince is at it again!). Memento is a fantastic movie which really, really, needs your motherloving attention. Memento is the movie they always show at the film & media courses in the Universities around the World, because it raises so many questions and is beautifully made, so for studying a intriguing and a original movie, Memento is a absolutely perfect example. Watch it if you want to train your movie brain
6) The Illusionist – Starring Edward Norton and Jessica Biel, this movie is about a magician, in Vienna (I think during the 18th Century) who uses his abilities to get sexy time with the love of his life. She is a lady that is far above his social class, and oh boy does he rattle some cages to get to her. Visually enthralling, Illusionist is one of the best “magic topic” movies out there. The twists are great too and the ending is pretty awesome. Good to watch while with some lady company.
7) The Prestige – Some of you probably guessed it that Prestige would be in this list and damn right so! Its a fantastic movie and I honestly think its meant for a smarter audience. Unless you are not into the movie and not following it closely, you will not love it and probably loose interest, which is too bad for you. So, pay attention while you watch it! One of the best scenes is, when we are introduced to the great Nicola Tesla, who’s played by David Bowie (yes, that David Bowie). The Prestige tells a story about two great magicians, Robert and Alfred, who are at first close friends, but eventually become fierce (really freaking fierce) rivals. When Alfred performs successfully the ultimate magic trick, Robert tries to desperately find out the secret of Alfred’s success and that gets really weird. Starring Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Scarlett Johansson and directed by no other than Christopher Nolan (aka. the Mindfuck prince).
8) The Usual suspects – “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the World, that he didn’t exist”- that is a famous quote from this famous masterpiece that deserves to be tattooed to your face! Directed by Bryan Singer and starring with bunch of amazing actors, amongst them Kevin Spacey, Benicio Del Toro and Gabriel Byrne, the usual suspects is now a cult film with a big C. Its the king of twists and layed a strong foundation for David Finchers and Chris Nolan’s to work from. Here is the film in a short synopsis: A boat has been destroyed, criminals are dead, and the key to this mystery lies with the only survivor of this tragedy. The survivor is bit twisted, but we start watching his testimony and unfolding of events, from his point of view, which turn into a convoluted story that includes five crooks. Oh yeah, there is the famous Kaiser Soze scene (YES, that’s this movie!!!)
9) Truman Show – Jim Carrey can do some really crazy good acting, if he is given the opportunity. In this one, he really shines. Truman show remains, in my opinion, Jim Carrey’s greatest role. It tells a story about a guy who finds out that his entire life was just a reality TV show (I wonder when Lady Gaga will find that out). Nowadays, we can’t escape from the reality TV and I think Truman Show was to blame, partly at least. Definitely deserves to be in the top 20 of best motion pictures of the recent history.
10) Shawshank Redemption – If you know this film then you know how amazing it is. If you dont know it or haven’t seen it, then where the F have you been!?! NOT COOL, man, not cool. Don’t mention that to your friends and if you are a girl with a manly boyfriend, then do NOT tell him that you haven’t seen this one or heard of it – he might burn your hair and go totally bonkers. Maybe you are a teenager or a dog, I don’t know, but you need to watch this one, if you haven’t. Seriously. Often hailed as the best movie of all time (by countless magazines and TV shows), Shawshank Redemption tells a story about a guy, played by Tim Robbins, who gets sentenced to prison for a crime he didn’t commit. While he is at the prison, he meets Red, starring Morgan Freeman, and they become great friends. The rest you need to find out by your self. Oh yeah, one more thing, when Morgan Freeman starts narrating the film, suddenly you notice that your spine starts to shiver and something inside of you starts to happen…I have no idea what this feeling is, but its amazing.
11) Being John Malcovich – Ah this one, oh yes, this really, really strange movie has to be here. I admit, it is really entertaining, but isn’t it one of the oddest movies you’ve ever seen? Starring John Cusack, Cameron Diaz (like you never seen her before, seriously, that’s no marketing shit, you really haven’t seen her like that before or after) and yes, Mr John Malcovich. Being John Malcovich tells a story about a puppeteer (Cusack) who somehow, discovers a portal that leads literally into the head of a movie star that just happens to be John Malkovich! Whaaat? Thats right. Whaaaaaaat? You read it right, stupid. Thats the movie and it will be pretty odd, but original indeed. Indeeeeed. Ok, watch the trailer and you’ll start to get it.
12) Requiem for a dream – Are you a parent who wants to scare the living SHIT out of your kids about drugs? Are you a normal person who thinks you is crazy? Do you think you take lots of drugs? Do you know what can happen if you take lots of drugs? I’m talking about way too much drugs, like Rolling Stones amount of drugs or more. Well in this bizarre and scary film, you’ll find out answers to all of these questions. I tell you one thing, this film is fucked up beyond recognition, seriously FUBAR. But it is amazingly well made and the story line is twisted and wicked as a movie can be. I recommend you to watch this film only once and if you have some dumbass teenage kids, who think they know it all about drugs (not talking about natural stuff like Weed, ok) and shit like that, then watch it with them. I guarantee you that those idiots won’t be touching any chemical drugs, again. It has perhaps one of the best soundtrack title scores of history of cinema: Requiem for a dream (the score) is so beautiful, haunting and gripping… WARNING: This film can be very disturbing to some people and I am being serious.
13) The Sixth sense – Directed by M. Night Shaylaymalayanananerr (yep, its spelled like that, so what!) and starring Bruce Willis and that kid who said “I see dead people”-which was in this film. The Sixth sense was a revelation and a fresh mindfucker on the block during its days. The ending is an absolute blast and the story just works really well. What a shame that M.Night went on to make shitty films (besides The Signs and few others, but Lady in the Water!?!? come on man!) Enough said, now go and watch it.
14) The Others – Ohhhhh yeaaaah! This is a very entertaining movie and ticks so many boxes, that will make you wanna buy the poster or something similarly 90’s. Starring Nicole “plastic fantastic3000” Kidmann, in her best role till now and directed by the magnificent Alejandro Amenabar. The Others tells a story about a woman who lives in a huge old house, with her two photosensitive children. She becomes convinced that her family home is haunted after series of incidents. Amenabar and his crew also experienced several unusual (real!) problems during filming some scenes and in many occasions had to stop filming and relocate, due to some very unusual and disturbing activity. Enough said, now find out more, your self!
15) Fight Club – I wonder how many fight clubs have been actually founded because of this film. I also wonder, how many crazy acts did people do because of this one, like making soap from body fat or pissing in people’s food. Another masterpiece of Mr. David Fincher. Starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton among many other great actors, Fight club tells a story, about a office worker (Norton), who gets lured into a new underground World of anarchy and chaos, led by Pitt’s character. Together they build a global organization, Fight Club, to help vent male aggression, by fighting full on! Fight Club has a great soundtrack, amazing acting, fantastic quotes and a sublime storyline with a stunning ending, which makes Fight Club a perfect film. Yes, I said it, a perfect film! 10 out of 10. Funny that the marketing executives at 20th Century Fox, faced serious difficulties in marketing Fight Club (!!) and at one point considered marketing it as an art film. WTF!!! They also considered that the film, was primarily geared toward male audiences because of its violence and believed that not even Brad Pitt would attract female filmgoers (wroooong). Research testing showed that the film appealed to teenagers (oh wau, thats a great research, let me fart twice in front of them dumbasses and see if that appeals to them).
Fincher refused to let the posters and trailers focus on Pitt and encouraged the studio to hire the advertising firm Wieden+Kennedy to devise a marketing plan. The firm proposed a bar of pink soap with the title “Fight Club” embossed on it as the film’s main marketing image. But the proposal was considered as “a bad joke” by the Fox executives but Fincher was adamant about it. So, Fincher released two early trailers in the form of fake public service announcements presented by Pitt and Norton; the studio did not think the trailers marketed the film appropriately and tried to pull them from distribution (back in the days when Internet was just a baby, these dick heads could actually get away with such a thing). Instead, the studio, pressured and initiated by Fincher, financed a $20 million large-scale campaign to provide a press junket, posters, billboards, and trailers, that highlighted the film’s fight scenes (right move).
16) Donnie Darko – This movie is insane in many ways. Starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Patrick Swayze, its about a very strange boy that sees lots of shit while he day dreams and night dreams. Thats all I am going to say about Donnie Darko because, it kind of freaks me out. You have to watch the film in order to really understand how relevant it is to the modern cinema
17) Skeleton Key – Its a horror movie but a very good one. It tells a story about a hospice nurse working at a spooky New Orleans plantation, who finds herself entangled in a mystery involving the house’s dark past. Cue twists and turns, scares and screams, but in a nice way. Starring Kate Hudson and her face.
18) Awake – The story focuses on a man who suffers “anesthetic awareness” and finds himself awake and aware, but paralyzed, during heart surgery. His mother must wrestle with her own demons as a drama unfolds around them, while trying to unfold the story hidden behind her son’s young wife. Starring Jessica Alba, Hayden Christensen and Terrence Howard. This is a difficult film to watch at some times so please bare that in mind, but it is worth it! I wish the thing that they are doing to the main character, never happens to anyone in real life.
19) Deja Vu – Starring Denzel Washington, Deja Vu tells a story about a man who travels back in time to save a woman from being murdered, falling in love with her during the process. Not so fast there, because it definitely is not that straightforward as it seems. You need to be guessing all the time whats going on and where the hell is he. But it is worth it!
20) Inception – Yeah I know, this film had to be here. Firstly because its directed by Mr Mindfuck him self, Christopher Nolan and secondly the fuss around this film has been unbelievable. It has created a massive following online and caused people to make funny spoofs. I didn’t get it all of it and I don’t think anyone really did…but fucking hell it is so amazing! The ending is one of the most controversial scenes in recent movie history. Starring Leonardo Di Caprio, Jason Gordon-Lewitt, Tom Hardy and Ellen Page.
21) Shutter Island – Again featuring Leonardo di Caprio with Mark Ruffalo and always versatile Ben Kingsley (did you know he is from Indian origin!?) and directed by unusually large eyebrows- Martin Scorsese. Shutter Island will surprise you, scare you, puzzle you, demand attention and respect from you and most above all screw your mind up! In the ending scene if you don’t gasp and go “I never saw that coming” then I feel sorry for you. Note: The trailer is fantastic and it will give you a great suspense feeling that you want, but dont ever underestimate Martin Scorsese…
22) Abre los ojos (open your eyes) – Starring Penelope Cruz and directed by Alejandro Amenabar, this is the original version of Vanilla Sky (Starring Tom Cruise and Penelope Cruz) and much better version. AMERICANS, the European films can be awesome if you dare to try. IMBD says about this film: “A very handsome man finds the love of his life, but he suffers an accident and needs to have his face rebuilt by surgery after it is severely disfigured”. Blah, how boring was that! My turn, “This is a story about a guy who thinks he can have everything he wants and usually gets it, but one day after a surgery, he wakes up to a different reality. He wakes up to a reality where he finds his face bit freaky and therefore cant control the same influence to his surroundings as before, so he changes and becomes a weirdo…but wait for it, there is more, much more! What exactly is more, well watch the movie and you’ll find out…it didn’t make it to this list for nothing…
23) All Final Destination movies – No I am not a teenie and no I have not gone sillyboots. Think about it. Those who have seen any of these (There are 5 of them) you know that there is lots of guess work to be done by the viewer of how people meet their death. If you are in University (college in the North America), then make a drinking game out of it – guess how the next victim dies. But they are all pretty good and above all, very entertaining. Best thing about these flicks is that there are no “famous” leading actors in them, so its difficult to predict the characters importance or storyline. My favorite is the 4th one, but hey they are all on the same line. Here is the trailer for the 4th Final Destination.
NOTE: Please dont cheat, meaning, dont go looking for information and plot revealations about these movies, because it will ruin the fun for you. The point of these movies is to, allow your self to be taken on a journey of intercourse with your beautiful brain and make you feel vulnerable and special at a same time. So do your self a huge favour and watch the trailers and then go straight into watching the movie. I promise you’ll enjoy it more. One more thing, dont have any expectations (besides what I wrote here) about them, but otherwise, dont expect too much or for anything particular.