In all of my lists I try to present you with the unusual movies, the ones that you didn’t expect to see and the ones that don’t feature in every other lists. So, therefore films like Superbad, Knockedup, Rolemodels, Zoolander, 40 year old virgin and Borat wont be featured here (although they are great!), but almost everyone has seen them and they usually feature in comedy movie lists found online. Also I wont be featuring oldies, meaning movies before the 1990’s, I think they are great but we have managed to create great films ever since too! So please bear in mind this when you read this list and other ones you find here on couchpopcorn. Feel free to provide your own suggestions too!
1) Fish called Wanda – Starring John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline and Michael Palin, this is a British movie with Monty Python typesque story. You can’t stop laughing at these strange situations and oh boy when you see John Cleese on screen it just illuminates your face.
2) Young people fucking – Thats right, young people fucking. Whaaaat? Its normal. As you’d expect, there is lots of fucking in this film, so I wouldn’t watch it with kids, but it is hilarious as it is so loco. You burst out laughing spontenously (thats what you want from a comedy!) and can’t believe some of the scenes. Guaranteed to give you a good time. Better yet, watch it with someone who you want to get on with…this movie might get you to the final base…
3) Tucker and Dale vs Evil – Very original concept playing on the wave of American horror movies (think Texas chainsaw massacre), this film is everything you didn’t expect it would be. I don’t recommend you watch the trailer because then you know what to expect, but if you are curious SOB/DOB (daughter of a bitch, does that work btw?), then go ahead and watch the trailer. Again, this film is perfect for group of friends on a nice evening after a nice dinner and with some alcoholic beverages. Definitely very different to what you have seen before.
4) Idiocracy – Starring the other one of the Wilson brothers, I think its Luke, Idiocracy is a very funny and bit scary movie. Why scary? Well, look at the world now. We are getting more and more reliant on technology and machines, we eat (not all, but a majority) crappy food. We are getting more and more addicted to shit that we dont need (for example Coca Cola and coffee). But above all, we are becoming dummer and dummer. No seriously, think about it, because we have Google, Wikipedia and our internet, we read less and rely more on the internet to gives us the news, answers, challenges and what to do, so eventually the evolution is going to take a wrong turn towards worse. Face it, we as a species will and are becoming more stupid. Idiocracy is about a average guy who gets frozen or something in a capsule because of a military expirement and wakes up 500 years later in a world where everyone is dum as a tree. Great film. But think about what I just wrote!
5) The Party – Starring Peter Sellers. I don’t usually include oldies here, but this one is so wacky that it deserves to be here. This movie is the father of situational comedy. Its also politically incorrect, for example, Peter Sellers plays a Indian guy who has a very strong Indian accent and just does the funniest shit during a party. Let me give you a short synopsis of what is going to happen, there is a civilised party in a luxury mansion, there is a pool, there are cool 60’s people, there is a parrot, Peter Sellers and then arrives a elephant, bubbles and then some…
6) The Royal Tenenbaums – Have you ever seen a film by Wes Anderson? If you have then you most likely have seen this one, if not then continue reading. I want to summarise Wes Anderson in one sentence, (clearing throath and strecthing fingers) ; Wes Anderson is awesome. Ok ok, Wes Anderson is the most original director out there with David Fincher and Tim Burton, who’s work can not be copied because they are so complicated and brilliant. Actors literarly sacrificy themselves for being part of his films (no seriously, read about how Bruce Willis and Edward Norton did crazy things to be part of his newest movie, Moonrise kingdom). There is no one in the movie world who has the vision of W.Anderson and there certainly isn’t anyone who has his incredible talent. Royal Tenenbaums is just one of the few movies that he made, 7 full feature films, and one of his best. His films are very difficult to categorise so that’s why the only one featuring on this list is Royal Tenenbaums. For the rest of his masterpieces please have a look at 25 best movies to get happy to.
7) Hangover 1 & 2 – You wake up one morning after a bachelor party and you are missing a tooth and there is a Tiger in your hotel room’s toilet and somewhere in there is a baby. Thats basically how Hangover movies are. Unpredictable and really crazy. Its hard to create a new comedy genre and then follow the success of the first one with a another great film, but I think Todd Phillips (Director) has done just that. Starring Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianikisisnskissmybottom and Ed Hellms, these two are cracking films and will make you happy! My favorite scene has to be in the second Hangover when Mike Tyson sings. You will poop your self during one of these films, so go to toilet before starting!
and Hangover 2
8) Snatch – Finally I can go on about this film. Ok, prepare your selves! Directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Brad Pitt, Benicio del Toro, Jason Statham and Vinnie Jones, this is one of the best British films made and definitely one of the most originals. Seriously. Snatch is mind blowing! It will tear you apart, in a good way. You will hear the weirdest accents in Britain and find out what the British Gypsies are really about. Brad Pitt is playing a gypsie and man is he great in it! Right, so whats good about it you ask? Acting, screenwriting, dialogue, comedy, situational comedy, plot, the consequences, narration, photography and wardrobe. It is a perfect movie and I only wish that someone out there makes something similar to this. I mean, Snatch has created a entirely new movie genre, this kind of gritty-comedy/action movie, similar to what you can see in Layer Cake and Rock n Rolla, but different. It will definitely help if you are British or have lived in the UK, because if you dont have subtitles in this movie, you wont understand half of it. The main characters are awesome but the supporting characters are absolutely amazing, they bring the movie into another dimension and gives a special spice to it. ABSOLUTE GEM. You wont get tired of it. Now, there are several trailers for this one and they are all pretty rubbish, so the best thing to do is to watch it directly.
9) Four lions – Another British marvel. Please note that this film can be offensive to some. Four Lions tells the story of a group of British jihadists who push their abstract dreams of glory to the breaking point. As the wheels fly off, and their competing ideologies clash, what emerges is an emotionally engaging (and entirely plausible) farce. In a storm of razor-sharp verbal jousting and large-scale set pieces, Four Lions is a comic tour de force; it shows that-while terrorism is about ideology-it can also be about idiots. The ending is bit shocking but the ride is fantastic. Funny, fresh and different. Americans, you’ll need subtitles for this one, actually, everyone from outside of London needs subtitles.
10) Anchorman – Starring Will Ferrell,Christina Applegate, Paul Rudd, Steve Carrell. Ron Burgundy (Ferrell) is San Diego’s top rated newsman in the male dominated broadcasting of the 1970’s, but that’s all about to change when a new female employee with ambition to burn arrives in his office. There are plenty of hilarious scenes, like the flute scene, the afternoon delight song and the broadcasters gang fight. This is a really funny movie and I can’t wait for the second one to come out!
11) Waiting – Have you ever imagined what is really going on in the back of restaurants? Have you ever wondered what will happen to your food if you piss off the waiters? Well in this film you’ll gonna find out! Starring all versatile Ryan Reynolds along with Anna Faris and Dane Cook, waiting is a very cool movie. Waiting has become a very popular movie due its subject and for its hilarious genital driven game…
12) Diner de Cons – A brilliant French movie. Its about a group of friends who get together every week with a guest, and secretly vote on whose guest is the biggest idiot. One fine day, one of the friends gets stuck with his guest, and disaster follows. There is a american version of it, but I wouldn’t watch that one first (Dinner for schmucks). French make fantastic movies and their comedy is hilarious.
13) Eurotrip – We used to watch this movie a lot during my studies in University and it was funny every time. Its ridiculous actually. There is a really great story, funny plot and awesome cameo roles by some big names, Matt Damon, Vinnie Jones and plenty of others. Eurotrip is about Scott who gets dumped by his girlfriend, so he decides to embark on an overseas adventure in Europe with his friends. Funny shit follows. I love the way it gives a insane stereotype to Europe and to some of its countries, my favorite is Slovakia. The soundtrack is great too. This movie actually inspired us to go on a Eurotrip of our own.
and I had to include this one here too:
14) Amigos – Made in Spain and man it shows. Spanish comedy movies are hilarious and wild. Its really like being part of a huge rollercoaster. Amigos is one of the best ones. What is it about? Great question Sir! Its about three friends who must honour their friends will (he died) by appearing on TV and winning the most views. Did that make it clear? No? Ok, its about these 4 guys of whom one dies, which leaves the other three to fight for his heritance money (the dead guy was rich). Oh fuck it, just watch the movie will ya!
15) Iron Sky – In the last moments of World War II, a secret Nazi space program evaded destruction by fleeing to the Dark Side of the Moon. During 70 years of utter secrecy, the Nazis construct a gigantic space fortress with a massive armada of flying saucers. Its bit looney and yes it gets definitely out of hand, but it is orignal and really different. Its a low budget movie made in Finland.
16) Untouchables – One of the best French movies ever made. The film is based on true events and that is what makes this one so special. The main character becomes a quadriplegic from a paragliding accident, so he hires a young man from the projects to be his caretaker. What starts from there onwards is pure magic. It is really a feel good movie with fantastic dialogue and fresh turns. I could go on about this one folks but I better let the trailer speak for me.
17) Kabluey – Say whaaat? KABLUEY MOTHERLOVER! Its about a character called Salman (the director and the male lead), who comes to help his sister-in-law tend to his little pieces of turd kids while Salman’s brother is off fighting in Iraq.. Yeah I know, it might sound boring, BUT, trust me this movie is funny in its own way. Lets say its wonderfully weird…Kabluey is a independent and very low budget movie which has a decent following online, you can count me as one of them. I actually considered at the moment to tattoo Kabluey on my ass…thank god I sobered up… If you are tired of Hollywood’s predictable comedies and cheesy rom coms and want to see something entirely different, then Kabluey is your thing.
18) God Bless America – This is a veeeery different kind of a movie, to say the least. Very controversial indeed. Loveless, jobless, possibly terminally ill, Frank has had enough of the downward spiral of America. With nothing left to lose, Frank takes his gun and offs the stupidest, cruelest, and most repellent members of society. He finds an unusual accomplice: 16-year-old Roxy, who shares his sense of rage and disenfranchisement. What you get is insanity and lots of murders with a comical twist….
19) East is East – In 1971 Salford (England) fish-and-chip shop owner George Khan (amazing accent) expects his family to follow his strict Pakistani Muslim ways…but things go according to plan…What happens next is utterly beautiful cinema. You have fantastic main characters who live in 70’s England and they are Muslim and from Pakistan and one of the family members is gay….Oh boy, the daddy wont like that! Again if you are not from the UK, it will help you significantly to have subtitles for this one. There is a second part under the name West is West…its not as good as this one but still ok.
20) Kicking and Screaming – Starring Will Ferrell and Robert Duvall, Kicking and Screaming tells a story about a family man Phil Weston, a lifelong victim of his father’s (Duvall) competitive nature, takes on the coaching duties of a kids’ soccer team, and soon finds that he’s also taking on his father’s dysfunctional way of relating…There are typical Will Ferrell stuff going on but its a light comedy and if you have nothing else to do and its raining outside and your kids are being total assholes, then this is the film to shut them up. Also works on your pets.